A day trip to the town of Roubaix. I knew only of the Paris-Roubaix Cycling race, but it’s also home to La Piscine. This repurposed swimming bath is now a museum of art and industry.
It’s well worth a visit if you are in the area.
On a cold and appropriately grey day between Christmas and New Year, we visited Ypres in Belgium – and visited a few of the historical sites from World War One including:
- Tyne-Cot cemetery, where nearly 12000 British and Commonwealth bodies are buried.
- Langemark cemetery where over 44000 German soldiers are buried and commemorated.
- The Menin Gate, where the last post ceremony has been observed almost continuously since 1927.
- The Christmas Truce memorial, near Comines-Warneton where a football match was played out on Christmas Day 1914.
Writing a ‘best of the decade’ or a top ten of the ‘tens’ is a heavy lift. When you listen to a LOT of music, then it’s a struggle to pull out the absolute favourites.
For this one, I chose my favourite album of each year… this wouldn’t be a bad list of albums to keep on repeat for a decade.
- 2010 – Black Noise – Pantha du Prince
- 2011 – Ceremonials – Florence and the Machine
- 2012 – Rhythm & Respose – Glen Hansard
- 2013 – Les Revenants (OST) – Mogwai
- 2014 – El Pintor – Interpol
- 2015 – Gomorrah (OST) – Mokadelic
- 2016 – You want it darker – Leonard Cohen
- 2017 – Marlon Williams – Marlon Williams
- 2018 – Here lies the body – Aidan Moffat & RM Hubbert
- 2019 – Ghosteen – Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
My Spotify client tells me that I saved 63 albums in my ‘2019’ folder – these are my top 10, in no particular order.
- Remind me Tomorrow – Sharon van Etten
- Ghosteen – Nick Cave and the Bad seeds
- The Undivided Five – A Winged history for the Sullen
- Six Lethargies – Keaton Henson
- Everything not saved will be lost (pt1 & pt2) – Foals
- Lust and Learn – Slow Show
- Crow Hill – Meursault
- This Wild Willing – Glen Hansard
- Assume Form – James Blake
- Norman Fucking Rockwell – Lana del Rey