An occasional look at what media and music I have on heavy rotation. See previous editions here.
January is typically a poor month for new music, but I have found a few decent albums to keep me warm through the greyest of days.
- Glen Hansard / Between Two Shores – This isn’t my favourite album from the former Frames frontman (this is), but these melancholy songs are still excellently written and performed. Looking forward to seeing him live next week.
- Nils Frahm / All Melody – Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. From a purpose built studio in Berlin emerges this stunner. Intricate, electronic, organic and all about the melody.
- Jonny Greenwood / Phantom Thread (O.S.T) – I haven’t seen the film, but this soundtrack is amazing. Puts me in mind of a 1940’s romance, swelling strings and an orchestra just behind the curtain.
- Carter Burwell / Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (O.S.T) – Great film, bound to win tons of awards, this reflective and gentle soundtrack is a great way to recall the mood of the movie.
- Turin Brakes / Invisible Storm – Eighth studio album for one of my favourite duos, nothing groundbreaking but a decent album with some slightly different styled tunes to their usual.
All album links in here will take you to Spotify. Let me know what I should be listening to in the comments.