A couple of people have sent me a list of questions entitled ‘How I work’, here is my completed list.
Number of unread emails right now?
- Personal (Gmail) – 15 / Work (Outlook) – 2
I keep personal and work email separate, and try to batch process email. I have no notifications on my PC or phone. I don’t believe in endlessly pursuing Inbox Zero.
First app checked in the morning?
- Outlook, then the Guardian newspaper.
First thing you do when you come into work?
- Drink my coffee, wait and look out of the window peacefully for 10 minutes. I use this time to recover from my commute and settle myself for the day.
What is your email management strategy?
- I ditched ‘filing’ email a long time ago. Automatic folders for common emails, a single archive for everything else.
Most essential app when traveling?
- Daily Commute – The Trainline App / Otherwise – Uber
How do you keep yourself calm and/or focused?
- Pause. Deep Breath. Carry On. The key is the length of the pause if something is really bothering me, then the pause will be longer.
What’s your perspective or approach to work/life balance?
- I change the word ‘balance’ for ‘blend’ – I don’t live to work, but I know when to switch between the two to protect the ‘crystal moments‘
Are there any work rituals critical to your success?
- Not really – although I always carry a notebook, as much as I love Evernote as a second brain, I need a blank paper page to help focus.
- Work – Central London, in the Shard
- Home – My Ikea standing desk
- Work – HP ProBook G4 running Windows 10
- Home – Old Dell desktop as a media player/server & Ipad Air
Current mobile devices:
- iPhone 7 / Kindle / Apple Watch 3
What’s your workspace like?
- Organised, clear – at the start of the day
What’s your best time-saving shortcut or lifehack?
- I’m pretty good at batch reading and processing email on my phone whilst on the train, saves a lot of time in the office. I think this is a good way to use time, whilst listening to music or podcasts.
What everyday thing are you better at than anybody else?
- I put together an Excel spreadsheet pretty quickly.
What are you currently reading?
- I’m trying to read more in 2018, and review as many of those books on my blog. This weekend I started reading The Rules of People by Richard Templar
What’s your sleep routine like?
- Pretty good – I get to sleep around 11pm, up at 5.23am – I like odd alarm times. We have a dual control electric blanket that we use in the Winter to warm the bed, which helps me get to sleep quickly.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
- Keep moving, even if its the wrong direction, you can course correct – but you must keep moving.